Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Junior US Mountain Running Team - 2011 - Call for candidates
From Paul Kirsch:
Hello Coaches and Athletes,
As we prepare for this year's USA Mountain Running Championships next weekend at Cranmore Mountain in New Hampshire, it is also time to send out a call for candidates for our junior mountain running team.
This year's World Mountain Running Championships takes place on September 11th in Tirana, Albania. The course for the Championships alternate between uphill only and up/down every other year. In 2011 the course is an up/down course. Here is a link to the Championship website: http://www.wmrc2011.al/ This year's course is a pretty fast one for mountain running, with an elevation gain of approximately 280 meters per lap. The junior girls run a single 4.49km lap, the junior boys run two laps for a total distance of 8.59 km. Here is a link to the course profile: http://www.wmrc2011.al/Courses.aspx
Team members selected will have a part of their airfare to Albania covered. We continue to fundraise to cover as much airfare as we can. Your lodging and food while you are in Albania is all covered.
We are looking to finalize the Junior team by July 10th so that airline tickets can be purchased and people have adequate time to acquire passports. If you have an athlete who would be interested in applying for the team or know someone who would be, please do the following:
1. Send an email to myself, Paul Kirsch at email@example.com.
2. In the email include a running resume for the team candidate that includes personal bests and noteworthy performances.
3. In the email include a letter of support from a parent and/or coach. If you are entering college in the fall, your college coach's support is imperative.
4. Junior men should have a 16:45 or better 5 km road or XC time and Junior women should have a time of 19:30 or better. Equivalent times from alternate race distances will be considered.
5. All runners must be current USATF members and US citizens (USATF membership can be obtained after the team members are announced)
6. Team members will need a valid passport for travel
7. Junior athletes must be between the ages of 15 and 19 on December 31, 2001 to be eligible.
If anyone is interested, any junior team candidates are welcome to race at the USA Mountain Championships this coming weekend in New Hampshire. This is not a requirement to make the team but for those in the region, it is a great opportunity to receive exposure to highly competitive mountain running. Contact me for more information if any students are interested in competing.
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. If you have any questions, please email me or call me at the numbers below.
Team Manager, Juniors
USA Mountain Running Team