Monday, December 17, 2012

USATF Trail Marathon Championships

Last month, on November 3rd to be specific, the USATF Trail Marathon Championships were held in Moab, UT in the famed slick rock region. This was the most technical course I have ever encountered complete with a couple of sections that required rappelling. The scenery was incredible as was the race organization and support. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the race as well as meeting the locals and taking the opportunity to do as much trail running as I could. Jason Bryan of the USATF MUTS Council did an excellent job of representing the USATF going the extra mile which included a last minute verification for Kerri Lyons who won the women's division with a time of 3:21:46. The men's open division was won by Cody Moat in a time of 3:08:26. Jason Bryant was 3rd overall in the men's open and first in the 40-44.  I was fortunate to place 2nd in the men's 50-54 division.


In years past I have headed to southern Arizona in March to put in some early season long runs, this year I think I'll try Moab! If you get the chance to visit the area. Plan on getting in some great running. Trails abound, some leading directly from the town of Moab itself.

One particular out and back route, known as the Whole Enchilada serves up some awesome trail and incredible scenery. I ran part of that trail on the Sunday and Monday after the race.





No comments: